Thursday, October 10, 2013

A Truly Good Human Being

We have often read and heard from our elders and moral science books, that we should help others. We should be good citizens and good human beings; help our fellow people in times of need.
But, how many of us actually do that?
We simply remain standing, mere spectators, to the hierarchy of the society. We don't get up and help, we watch the spectacle and remain amused; wondering what is going to happen next.

An incident happened a few days ago;
We were standing near a roadside on Siri Fort road, and there was a cut to go into the DDA colony; suddenly, an old man on a bicycle and a man on a bike, nearly collided. The bicycle was coming out of the colony, the bike was going straight. The bike went ahead and came back. The old man was checking his bicycle to make sure it was not broken. He did not say anything to the man on the bike, who was now standing next to the old man, shouting and abusing. The bike man slapped the old man on the head and my blood boiled with loathing and my heart weighed down with sympathy. But, I was too afraid; too afraid to go and stand up for the old man.
As, I continued to watch, my boyfriend who had been on the phone, suddenly crossed the street and walked up to the duo. He politely asked the old man to leave, and told the bike man to calm down. I watched in awe as the situation was diffused in less than a minute!
He walked back to me with a smile on his face, and I was so lost in awe and wonder, I could only smile back and say the first thing that came to my mind, "I am so proud of you".

Now, when I think of this incident, I realized that intervening helps. That situation with the bike man and the old man, could have gotten so much worse, had my boyfriend not stepped in-between.
So many incidents, like these happen everyday!
Next time you see one, step in and end it, before things get out of hand and someone gets hurt.

As for my boyfriend, who is the inspiration for this post, all I can say is: You are a truly good human being.
God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment